Friday, July 23, 2010

Trip to Tepoztlan

The temple atop the Tepozteco mountain.
Last weekend we ventured outside of Cuernavaca to the nearby town of Tepoztlan, about a 30 minute drive north. The town is famous for the remains of a temple, built on top of the nearby Tepozteco mountain, and its quaint market and arts and crafts.   

According to myth, over 1200 years ago Tepoztlan was the birthplace of Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent god widely worshipped in ancient Mexico.  The trek up the mountain takes up to 90 minutes, depending one’s speed; it looks quite daunting from the bottom, but everyone says it is well worth it once you get to the top. 

After climbing the Great Wall of China in my flip flops earlier this summer, I decided to again wear flip flops on this adventure, even though my friend warned me against it.  In retrospect tennis shoes were definitely the more practical option... so for anyone making the trek - avid flip fop wearer or not - wear tennis shoes! But, I think wearing them gave me the extra motivation I needed to make it up the mountain in great time (under an hour), and the view was absolutely breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment